From the 16th to the 22nd September, it is European Mobility Week with the theme of ‘safe and healthy with sustainable mobility.’ This theme pays tribute to the hardships felt by Europe – and the world – throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and also reflects the opportunities for change following the crisis.
Through the week, people are encouraged to keep fit both physically and mentally, while exploring the beauty of their local area, and show consideration for the environment when choosing their travel mode.
Below are a few facts for you to digest whilst you think of ways you could change your travel,
- A 30 minute walk or cycle can help to enhance mental health
- 20% of Europe’s population is exposed to long-term harmful noise levels
- 376,000 premature deaths annually cause by fine particle pollution
- Cycling communities have a 46% lower risk of developing heart disease and a 45% lower risk of developing cancer
- Bike sales have increased six-fold in one decade.
Find out more by visiting Mobility Week